Monday, May 30, 2011

They're Back!

Five weeks have passed since my last post and I'm sad and embarrassed to admit that 9 pounds have found their way back to my body. I started a post a few weeks ago that addressed my old friends "panic" and "anxiety". They were back in full force and that was manifested in food binges and hiding. The shame of the weight gain and lack of self control even stopped me from blogging about my very first 1/2 Marathon which I successfully completed. More on that in a little bit.

Aside from the bingeing and absolute lack of self control, I've found myself to be in a sad place. I haven't shared that with anyone really so I'm fearful that those close to me will feel slighted that I didn't confide. The crappy part about being in the place I've been is that the last thing I want to do is talk about it. I can put on a good front (for the most part) and people won't have a clue that I'm hurting inside. But I know...I know that I'm hurting inside and rather than deal with the why it's so much easier to shove it further down by eating a ton of crap. That's where I've been. I've been in a dark place of shoveling food to smother whatever this is that's making me feel unworthy of healthy living.

I've never struggled with drugs and alcohol so I can't speak to that type of addiction but what I can tell you is that a food addiction is a terrible thing. The amount of negotiating you can do and bargains you can make in your mind as to why one more piece, bite, lick, bowl, taste, serving....won't kill you. It is killing me.

I'm tired of telling myself "tomorrow is a new day", "start fresh in the morning", "you're not going to gain the 53 pounds pack overnight"...well guess what?!?!? When you have blinders on for weeks at a time, 5 weeks can feel like "overnight" and there they are...9 pounds you worked so hard to get rid of are BACK. How many more "overnights" will I have to be in denial through for the rest of it to come back? I don't want that to happen. I don't want to realize every five or six weeks that I've been in a food induced stupor only to wake and see the weight all back, the sore feet, the aching knees, the painful back, the constant headaches (which I've concluded are food/allergen related), the wheezing because I can't get enough air. This has to stop. It's truly hard to sit here and write this. Chances are very few people will read it and that's ok too....just know that those of you who have taken the time to support me on this journey really do mean a lot to me. I'm so grateful for you and your time and I don't want to disappoint you. I know I can beat this I just don't know how or when.

Last week I decided NOT to have a long term goal. I've set several and failed each one of them. I wrote the following on my bathroom mirror.

If you can't see it in the photo, it says "One Moment at a time, One Choice at a time, YOU ARE WORTH THE EFFORT". I am worth the effort. And I've learned that for me, in this place right now, it really is about every individual decision I make...in this moment, right now. I have to ask myself how with this food decision help me accomplish the objective of a healthy life?

This blog is about being honest and true to myself and to those of you supporting me. SO, that's what I'm doing by saying I'm sad, frustrated, irritated, angry, deflated, disappointed, embarrassed, AND DETERMINED. Determined not to let go of my dream to live a healthier life. This morning I got back to my Monday morning weigh in routine...here's what today brings. Sadly, it is a 9 pound gain from my last post. I have to say, I've noticed the difference in my face which is typically the first place I gain weight...there they are again, the extra chin/s.

For now I'm going to step away and enjoy my beautiful front porch. I hope to be inspired to come in and blog about my amazing experience in completing my first 1/2 marathon. Please leave a comment if you visit. Would love to hear from those of you who take the time to read my blog.

6 comments:

  1. 9 lb? Piece of cake (pun intended, hehe). It IS long term, and that includes some bumps... even pot holes. Just fill it in and keep moving forward. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That which does not kill us can only make us stonger...I believe this includes our feelings of failer, fear, anxiety,panic,embarresment,you fill in the blank...I tell myself evreyday just love ME long enough to watch me turn my mistakes into learning lessons with ahahas witten all over them...a dark night is always followed by a bright morning, and even when the mornings are cloudy clairity eventially finds its way. As you know the road to success is always under constuction....I can see you have already found strength in your journney the last 5 weeks. I think it takes a hell of a lot of courage to be so honest with yourself and those around you. YOU ARE TO BE ADMIRED...and BTW whatever you think your hiding from others does not matter only that you remember where you left it to return back to it when it is time....untill then be well WARRIOR QUEEN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are appreciated, loved, and WORTH EVERY BIT of this effort. I'm kinda in the same place as you. Just get back on. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly:

    I so appreciate your honesty and authenticity... and I for one thinks it's part of the curves of life and our hearts... and part of the way out is thru (including slipping and sliding at times). It's AMAZING that you did your half marathon. And I don't hear you giving up at all. Just taking what time you need for you, sharing that sometimes our attempts to nurture ourselves including sliding back to what is familiar at times. I say lots of TLC to you and lots of credit for your ENTIRE journey...

    Take care, my friend! You're an inspiration in all the fluctuations of your path and thanks for sharing!! :) Katey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog, and I hope you continue to post. Food is such a difficult thing, we need it so we can't just quit like drugs and alcohol. And like drugs and alcohol, it's not really food that is the problem, it is the underlying issues. I so admire that you have run a half marathon, I am training for one now. I did an unofficial half last year, and hope to do a real one in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUCCESS is getting up one-more-time and trying again.

    I'm so proud of you for your honesty and ability to share your pain.

    I too have struggled with weight issues and have felt all the feelings in your latest blog. My biggest weight loss was 62 lbs... I hate myself that those 3 damn numbers on the scale can make or break my day.

    Those three numbers determine how I feel about myself...when they go up... I want to stay in the house and be alone.

    When you mentioned feeling shame....my heart broke for you.... bottom line Kelly.... it is an addiction.... you are doing your best to live with it in a healthy way... from reading your blogs it has been like a spiral....down two... up one.... but long term you continue to go down... so congratulate yourself... and I don't mean by having something yummy to celebrate (that would be something I'd do!).

    Kelly ... I know you ... I've seen you...you are good looking, intelligent, energetic, positive, creative, loving woman... you are not just the three numbers on that scale.

    AND to add to that...I am looking forward to your visit at Karen's at the end of this month... you and I will jump into the pool together and bring up the water level!

    Treat yourself with kindness... you don't need perfection cause you have progress!
    take care, Barb

    ReplyDelete

Weight Loss